If you don’t know where you are, you don’t know who you are.
– Wendell Berry
FOAM-In is a 3-day exploration of Providence and the surrounding RI area. The program provides students an opportunity to get to know their new home while having fun with their new classmates.
Final Itinerary – 2018
- Wednesday (7/25)
- 6-6:30pm: Check-in, receive final schedule
- 6:30-8pm: Dinner and socializing with FOAM-In and FOAM-Out
- Thursday (7/26)
- 8-9am – Breakfast, receive group assignment
- 9-10am – FOAM-In Welcome and Orientation
- 10-11am – Meet your group!
- 11:30am-12:20pm – Picnic Lunch
- 1-3:30pm – Providence Scavenger Hunt
- 5-8:30pm – Community Dinner
- Friday (7/27)
- 9-11:30am – Swearer Center Walking Tours
- 12:30-1:30pm – Ferry to Newport, lunch
- 2:30-5:30pm – Breaker’s tour, beach, shops, cliff walk
- 5:45-7:15pm – Dinner at Newport Restaurants
- 8-9pm – Ferry back to Providence
- Saturday (7/28)
- 10-11:30am – Hope St. Farmer’s Market
- 11:30am – 12:30pm – Picnic Lunch
- 1-2pm – Art Exploration at RISD Museum, may stay in museum afterwards
- 5pm – 9pm – FOAM closing dinner with FOAM-In and FOAM-Out
- Participants will be assigned to a FOAM-In group with 7-8 first-years and 3 upperclass leaders
- FOAM-In will operate from ~9 AM – 9 PM each day, and students will return home in the evenings (either at their own apartments or with an upperclass host, if needed)
- All meals for three days are included, apart from breakfast on Friday/Saturday
- Transportation to activities will be provided, though if you’re willing to drive your own car, we may ask that you help with carpooling!